- 600 g Cauliflower rice (2 medium cauliflower head)
- 1 1/4 Ground almonds
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Chilli flakes - optional
- 1 tsp Dried oregano or basil
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- sprinkle Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Eggs or flax eggs for vegan option
- 3 Minced garlic cloves
- 1 tin Chopped tomatoes
- 1 Red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- splash Red wine - optional
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 Lemon juiced
- handful Basil
- Rocket, fresh basil, sliced avocados, red pepper hummus, sliced red pepper to serve
- Start by making your marinara sauce. Gently heat some oil in a pan, then add the garlic and sauté for a few minutes, stirring often, until golden. Add in the pepper, tomatoes, tomato puree and red wine, if using, and heat on low-medium until thickened (around 15-20 minutes), stirring frequently to prevent the sauce from catching.
- Take the thickened sauce off the heat, then place in the blender with the basil, lemon juice. Whizz smooth, or until you achieve you desired consistency, then season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 220C. To make your cauliflower base, steam your cauliflower rice until completely softened. Allow to cool. Using a muslin or tea towel, squeeze the water from the cauliflower rice, ensuring you remove as much water as possible - this ensures a crispy crust, and helps to prevent it from falling apart! Be patient, you may have to repeat this a few times to remove all the water.
- Tip your cauliflower rice into a bowl, then stir in the remaining base (arrowroot, almonds, nutritional yeast, chilli flakes, oregano, onion powder and garlic) ingredients, adding as much or as little ground almonds as needed to bring it to a 'dough' - if the mixture is a little sticky, add more. If it's dry, then you'll need less, and perhaps a touch more egg / flax egg.
- Line a pizza tin or tray with baking paper, then spoon over your cauliflower base, leaving enough to form a second pizza. Shape into your desired shape, and press down firmly with the back of a spoon (or your hands) to ensure it's packed tight and you have an even surface. Repeat with second pizza.
- Place the bases in the oven to bake for 18-25 minutes, or until golden brown and the crust is beginning to crisp.
- Add your marinara sauce and return to the oven to bake for a further 8-10 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling. Remove the pizzas from the oven, then scatter over desired toppings. Cut into slices and eat immediately!
- The nutritional calculations are worked out on the pizza and marinara sauce only - not any toppings added.