5 reasons why sugar is bad for your skin
There has been much hype about why we should quit sugar for our weight but did you know that it is one of the worst offenders in skin health too. When it comes to the appearance of your skin, there is so much happening inside that will reflect in inflammation and redness on the outside.
Sugar is incredibly addictive and is linked to many skin issues and problems. Kicking the habit will do so much more than camouflaging from the outside.
1. Inflammation: eating sugar initially raises blood sugar levels followed by a sharp drop. These fluctuations cause inflammation and acidity in the body which can lead to break outs.
2. Sugar causes wrinkles. Aaargh!!! Eating sugar causes a process called glycation which hardens collagen fibres making them brittle and less elastic.
3. Sugar stimulates the production of free radicals in the body. Free radicals are the enemy of healthy cells. Eat a diet rich in antioxidants including low sugar fruits and veggies to mop up any rogue free radicals.
4. Rosacea and other rashes are linked to yeast imbalances in the body and sugar fermentation. Put a ban on refined foods and yeast, add greens and fibre instead.
5. Sugar ferments in your stomach and can lead to inflammation and bloating. Food intolerances can show in dark circles under your eyes, blemishes and rashes.
So there you have it, if you needed a good reason to give up on the white stuff. We’d love to hear how you get on, let us know your tips and advice for anyone trying to pass on the silver spoon.