The 40’s are considered by many of us to be a ‘big birthday’, for me it was possibly the best years for my skin as I first discovered the true connection between skin health and diet. Good habits now will help to slow down the ageing process and our top tips will help to ease you into your 50’s with glowing skin.
Tips for over 40 skin care
- During the 40’s we usually start in the peri-menopausal years and oestrogen levels start to decline. Oestrogen is a natural anti-inflammatory so skin can become more sensitive, start to lose its tone and become dehydrated.
- Redness, broken capillaries and rosacea are associated with the onset of the peri-menopause, diet and skin care can greatly help to reduce symptoms. The condition can also be treated in beauty and aesthetic clinics with IPL light treatment. A short blast of light heats up the veins momentarily to destroy the broken capillary. Typically a course of 3 – 5 is needed and maintenance may be required long term. Check out our Look Younger in 2 Weeks eBook by logging in to your account for more tips on rosacea.
- Protection starts from within, a healthy diet full of antioxidants. Think colours of the rainbow for red for berries and peppers, orange for peppers, carrots, yellow tropical fruits, green leaves and avocados and for blues back to berries. Add good quality protein, lean meat, eggs, fish and overlay seeds for extra omegas.
- Reduce alcohol, inflammatory forming foods such as dairy and processed foods. Alcohol is fine in moderation but it does dehydrate skin dramatically and can be a contributing factor in rosacea.
- Facial contours start to sag, working in salons this is possibly the biggest concern for women in their 40’s and older. Start to do some simple yoga facial exercises and consider firming treatments for the skin, micro current and nano current systems lift muscles gently to protect and prevent loss of tone.
- Give your skin some TLC, avoid harsh scrubs and add serums and peptide rich skin care products to your routine. There are some incredible products to nourish your skin but it can be confusing as to what to pick, consultations are often free and you can have your skin professionally assessed so you know which products will suit you.
- Collagen levels are falling so boost with Collagen Shots, taking daily will help to supply your body all the key peptides it needs. Clinical trials show that taking a daily serving of 10,000 mg of the collagen we use will reduce fine lines and improve skin condition in just 3 weeks.
- Add one of our Hydration formulas, H3O Hydration, drink by day and H3O Night Repair to hydrate while you sleep so you wake looking refreshed and renewed.
- Exercise, pilates and yoga will keep up your flexibility and light weights will help to keep up body strength. Then when you can get out into the fresh air and walk.
- Don’t skip sleep, it’s the time when cells are renewing and rejuvenating.